Friday, August 25, 2017

This Is 40

Arthur Schopenhauer once said, ~The first 40 years of life gives us the text. The next 30 supply the commentary.~ Without a doubt, turning 40 is considered an absolute milestone that not only has its perks, but at the same time there are countless jokes associated with it as well. In any case, when it comes to reaching the quintessential 40th year of age plateau you're provided with detailed, as well as firsthand accounts of an individual's personal experiences. For its a truly interesting situation indeed finally reaching a point of adulthood that quite literally sneaks up on you. Yet, like our predecessors before us who have reached then surpassed the 4 decade mark were we've hopefully gained insightful wisdom pertaining to life experiences to where we're able to express what has been mentally noted down over the years.

As I said before, when it comes to reaching the quintessential 40th year of age plateau you're provided with detailed, as well as firsthand accounts of an individual's personal experiences. When I was your age. Essentially, those 5 words are in all intents and purposes the springboard of nostalgic reminiscing to our peers and not to mention the younger generation who are either willing or unwilling to listen in order to learn from our life lessons thus far. In other words, helpful advice in not repeating the same mistakes in hopes of forging a positively present path toward the flourishing future. Thinking about it further, it's those life lesions we've mentally noted down over the years to where there's a Morgan Freeman stylized commentary happening like with his character Red in the movie The Shawshank Redemption.

If you think about it, being able to reach a seemingly pivotal age that is the number 40 having the voice of Morgan Freeman automatically kick in would certainly be an added bonus in growing older and wiser. True, life would become considerably more entertaining if you suddenly heard Morgan Freeman in your head commentating from the moment you woke up in the morning till you closed your eyes to go to sleep. I think it would be safe to say having his voice in your head giving opinions and observational views is by far more soothing instead of your own inner voice. It's an inner voice who can be very irritating, annoying, and will never shut up no matter how hard you try so much so it drives you completely insane. Hey, at least with having Freeman being the voice in your head the daily commentary will sound significantly more epic don't you think?

Let me ask you this question to those who are 40 or reaching a particular stage well past their 40's, what sort of commentary do you freely express that you stick by no matter what? Personally speaking, I was born in 1977 and because of that I grew up in the era of the 80's where I dare say with utmost confidence it had the best music not unlike the music being played today. Of course, this may be my inner "get off my lawn" commentary as it pertains to the music industry today and how it doesn't hold up to the music and artists of the 80's. Phil Collins, Hall and Oates, Prince, David Bowie, Kenny Loggins, The King Of Pop Michael Jackson, etc. are the quintessential standard bearers who wrote, produced, and/or performed legendary songs that will never be duplicated due to longevity and how they've continually stood the test of time.

Today is my 40th birthday and I will be celebrating it by participating in some fun indoor skydiving. In retrospect, you don't realize how much you've done and been able to accomplish in the 1st 40 years of your life because it feels like it went by in just a blink of an eye. However, it's within the first 40 years of my life I've laughed, cried, and everything in between all the while giving glory to God as he watches over me. I've failed and then triumphed on the metaphorical road to finally graduating college after nearly a decade of trying. Skydived twice. I gained new friends while letting go of others. I've said a bittersweet, tearful farewell to my best friend. I became an uncle to 3 awesome kids who I love dearly. Ultimately, I've met Stan Lee and I consider myself a lucky geek, which I can now cross off my bucket list. Plus, so much more. In the end, I will look at my face in the mirror on August 25, 2017 and hopefully my inner Morgan Freeman voice begins narrating by saying the following 3 words: This is 40.

No comments: