Sunday, August 28, 2005

That's My Boy

Essentially, there are moments in life where a person looks back and smiles. For its that particular moment of one's life that brought you joy, happiness, plus some tears as well, and it was something to be proud of. Proud not in an arrogant/egotistical way, but proud in a sense that you were glad you experienced and/or witnessed something special live and in living color, so to speak. Let me ask you this question, was there a particular moment in life in which you were proud to have gone through your experiences even the situation was a tough/diffcult task to accomplish? For the most part, there are many things to be proud in our lives, but the main three things are the following: graduation, marriage, and kids.

Without a doubt, graduation is a momentus occasion for students who worked their butt for 4 years or more. Whether its high school or college, a person gave their blood, sweat, as well as, tears plus a lot of sleepless nights to stand on stage with their classmates and friends to finally receive that all important document. A document that seemed out of reach in the beginning, but as you metaphorically climbed that tough academic ladder, it slowly but surely was within reach. In some aspect, the weight of the world on one's shoulders will be lifted off and a much derserving big sigh of relief is given once that diploma hit your hand. For the question can be asked, how did it feel for you as you finally walked across the stage and were handed that proverbail holy grail?

When it comes to marriage, its a proud moment between you and your significant other to be. However, the road to the alter can have several or many setbacks such as a bride/groom having substantial doubts or cold feet. Other factors that could complicate things are the potential in-laws not getting along and most definitely the planning of the wedding itself can cause friction. Friction not only between families bit also between the bride and groom to the point that the wedding is either postponed or called off entirely. Every person has either been in, been involved or witnessed that particular situation, but if you have an excellent support system backing you up the all with hopefully be well.. For when you look at each other from the aisle and face to face at the alter, everything beforehand is inconsequential.

Working in the asylum for the past 9 years, there have been many proud moments I've experienced and one particular proud moment happen on the day of my birthday as "my kids" and fellow co-workers showed me some love. If you are wondering, yes I did work on my borthday and I'm glad i did because I would have missed out on something special, but I digress. In any case, a card was made by "my kids" and every kids plus staff signed it. I also recieved individual cards with gifts that they made especially for me which I gave them a big bear hug in return. The gift giving ended with two birthday cakes that were from a friend/ fellow co-worker and one from one of "my kids", which gave me a warm feeling inside knowing they cared...it was that or indigestion...just kidding.;)

In retrospect, every person will experience proud moments and those proud moments will be overshadowed by other proud moments. When it comes to looking back at those moments in your life are they worthy to be rated or do they stand alone as one moment you will always remember? For it was about a week ago, when I realized I wasn't able to do a particular break dance move for the expressed purpose of entertaining my Godson and in the process I hurt my lower back. Well, it was on that same night I was able to see my Godson walk a few step, which was an extremely proud moment for me. In the end, even though I wasn't his dad, I felt like a proud dad and at that particular moment these three words came out of my mouth... that's my boy!

No comments: