Thursday, August 25, 2005

Ain't As Good As I Once Was

Robert Louis Stevenson once said, ~We advance in years somewhat in the manner of an invading army in a barren land; the age that we have reached, as the saying goes, we but hold with an outpost, and still keep open communication with the extreme rear and first beginnings of the march.~ Essentially, a person can't stop birthdays from coming no matter how many times you try to deny it, the fact is ithey will happen. Women, more so than guys, oftentimes don't acknowledge the concept of actual age to the age they really are and that is why lying about one's age is so widely done which just seems pointless to do. In some aspect, its like an ongoing battle against the biggest adversary we all face sooner or later...Father Time.

Without a doubt, there are certain things from our childhood that a person just can't do no matter how hard he or she tries to do it. Certain things such as playing with a hula hoop and make it stay around your own waist which looks easy enough when you see kids do it. Plus, you did it as a kid, so it will probably come naturally to you and you'll show these young kids how its done. Unfortunately, for some adults we tend to lose that ability and we tend to overthink what we're doing wrong to the point where you can totally be frustrated. So frustrated in fact, one will throw the hula hoop away because you can't seem to master it whereas kids will go for it and succeed, which kinda hurts one's own pride as we are defeated by a simple round object

You would think getting out of bed would be considered something that a person would easily get the hang of. Think about it, when we were younger we would generally spring out of bed, do our morning routine, put our clothes on, eat breakfast, get your stuff ready and then face whatever battles that one was going to face or be put in front of us. Now as an adult there isn't much of a spring anymore when one gets out of bed but rather more of a fall out of bed roll type maneuver, which every person will do eventually. In all honesty it will happen to you in an instant with absolutely no warning as Father Time sneaks past security and metaphorically grabs your youth like a well trained Navy Seal.

Working in the asylum, a person's back will never be the same again as kids will ambush you from time to time which is never a good feeling. Whether its a foward assault or from behind, they have that no mercy, take no prisoners attitude. When it comes to bending down it can be truly an event in and of itself, as you will find yourself tying shoes, picking up, pushing, or pulling stuff which one will truly feel it later or the next day depending on how many times you do it. Let me tell you something, when I first started there I walked normal and could bend down with ease; but after 9 years there I have developed the old man walk and whenever I bend down I make the old man noise/grunt, which is at times very amusing to the kids of the asylum.

Today is my 28th birthday and when you reach a certain age such as 28, there are just some things you are never meant to do or try to attempt again. A couple of nights ago, I was entertaining my Godson and I had the bright idea of doing a break dance move somewhat like WWE wrestler Booker T's spin-a-rooni. On a side note, my break dance moves were good/ok back in day, nothing that really wows the crowd, but I digress. To make a long story short, I ended up hurting my lower back. For the next five minutes I was on the floor looking up at the ceiling and telling myself never to do that again. In the end, when it comes to trying to perform break dance moves now, pardon my grammer when I say I ain't as good as I once was and its a song by Toby Keith that everybody can literally or figuratively relate to.

No comments: