Sunday, November 22, 2009

Are You Serious

Oscar Wilde once said, ~Everything popular is wrong.~ If you think about it, Oscar Wilde is right to a certain extent except when it comes to things such as a popular social network like Facebook or a place like YouTube where millions of people go to either watch or upload funny, amazing, and oftentimes weird/strange videos for our own entertainment. However, Mr. Wilde is certainly dead on when it pertains to the seemingly heightened popularity of a growing pop culture phenomenon that is in my opinion mind boggling. For it truly befuddles the mind on how passionate, vocal, and at times crazed people/fans become in regards to what is considered to be popular to the point where it stirs an absolute frenzy in not just kids, but adults as well especially when it involves the following three things: television, music, and movies.

Without a doubt, its a confusing situation indeed when a television show apparently captured America's heart making it a supposed smash hit that everyone talks about. I quite honestly for the life of me don't know why the television show Glee is such a tremendous hit with fans and as much of a fan I am of music I unfortunately didn't jump on the proverbial Glee bandwagon. Now before any of you Glee fans or whatever chosen name you fans call yourselves get on my case for not watching the show and giving it a chance to change my mind I would say in my defense I did in fact watch the pilot episode. It captured my attention for 15 minutes before I got bored and switched to something more entertaining on Wednesday night like the TAPS crew investigating the possibilities of paranormal activities on a show called Ghost Hunters.

Oftentimes, the music industry introduces solo artists/bands/groups that inevitably becomes popular to the young female demographic who go absolutely nuts particularly for The Jonas Bros. As a guy, I don't get it at all as to why those three guys are so popular not only to young girl but to adult women as well, which is creepy in itself. Looking at it from a guy's perspective, you can't help but be both confused and amused at how young girls completely lose their freakin' minds shedding tears as they babble on for their reasons on which Jonas Bros. is their favorite or become greatly concerned/shocked when one of them suddenly gets a haircut during the 2009's Kid Choice Award several months ago. If you're wondering, no I am not a jealous hater as I am far from that as I'm just someone who is bewildered at the fanatical craze or frenzy if you will that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Let me ask you this question ladies, how many of you are not only fans of the Twilight book series, but also the movies too? FOr the fans of this rising albeit mind numbing mostly tween fanbase phenomenon it’s in their view a triangle love story involving a human female named Bella, a vampire named Edward, and a werewolf named Jakob. Essentially, that is pretty much the extent of what I know and really all I care to know because when tweens get to the point where there is an all out heated debate/argument on whether they're on Team Edward or Team Jacob or who Bella should choose to love it's time for a reality check. You see, it's understandable for young female tweens to be head over heels for the Twilight books/movies, but if you're a guy and are a die hard fan then I must ask you on behalf of all the guys for you to hand in your man card immediately.

In retrospect, there are so many things considered popular by society standards it can give you a headache. Hannah Montana, Taylor Swift, former American Idol contestant Adam Lambert, Elmo, Dora The Explorer, etc. are just a handful of things/people that can cause a person like myself to do two things which are to just throw your hands in the air and ask why. Let me tell you something, it's just not me who thinks this way because I know there are other people out there who feel the same way as I do and we have no earthly idea why certain things/people are popular. What it primarily comes down to is the powers that be who use their jedi mind tricks to influence kids to have their parents to buy their merchandise. In the end, what's popular for some adults/kids may not be for others because people like me all we end up doing is scratching our heads saying are you serious!?

No comments: