Monday, October 09, 2006

Hello

October 9, 2006 Carl Gustav Jung once said, ~ Every form of addiction is bad no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism.~ If you think about it, we're all addicted to something in this world that can give you that proverbial high. However, the high that I'm speaking of doesn't involve any illegal substances that can either get you arrested or worse, cause your untimely death. The "high" that I'm speaking of concerns certain things that you just can't get enough of, which in all intents and purposes can be considered a drug. For no matter how hard you want to try to stop and quit, you can't. Let me ask you this question, what or who are you addicted to that can quite possibly be deemed borderline obsession?

Without a doubt, there are people out there who crave attention and are addicted to having all eyes on him or her. It's purely egotistical as the things said or done, whether they're a celebrity or not, keeps one's face and name in the so-called spotlight. We all know, see, or at least hear about someone who is constantly being talked about, that you inevitably get tired of him/her being talked about in the media because of how useless to society he or she may be. Everyone would agree that Paris Hilton is an attention seeker who hasn't contributed anything to society except spending the family fortune. Even though she’s the constant butt of jokes and ridicule she's talked about, which unfortunately boosts her own ego even more.

When it comes to making music and performing songs, musicians can experience a certain "high" when he, she, or they hear the roar of the crowd as they either scream or sing along word for word their songs. It's a pure adrenaline rush that raises the energy level up a notch in whatever venue they're playing at to where you can go deaf because of all the noise, which that particular performer or performers feed off of and when the audience is happy, they're happy. Essentially, that's what all singers/songwriters/ music producers love to hear and see because it not only keeps audiences coming back for more, but it also keeps him, her, or them inspired to keep doing what they love to do.

Oftentimes, a person can be addicted to a particular type of technology such as a cell phone, which seemingly tends to get upgraded either every day, week, or month. For some, most or all people they can't live without it and it's always at their side to the point it can borderline on obsession. Why? In my own thinking, one doesn't want to miss out on something that is considered to that particular person important as he/she is always connected, as well as, standing by at a moments notice when the business world or one's own inner circle calls. Yet, it's a sad situation indeed when it can cause the break up of a relationship where an ultimatum is given to either choose it or him/her. So, the question remains, are you addicted to your cell phone?

About 2 years ago, a friend of mine...*cough*(Germaine)*cough*...sent me a link to a website that many people today are using worldwide. In any case, it's this particular website that has now become a new kind of "drug" that people like myself can't stop or quit because its considered so addictive that a person will or can go into dt's. For the question must be asked, how long can you go without logging on to this particular website? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? Ultimately, they say in order to deal with an addiction you have to admit you have a problem. In the end, if this were a meeting I would stand behind a podium and say to those of you who are fellow addicts....Hello, my name is Yoda and I am addicted to Myspace.

6 comments:

Coco said...

This is a little more complicated than that, I'm afraid ...
Hello, my name is Coco and I'm addicted to my friends in the Soul Patrol.

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

Hi, my name is Dixie and I'm also addicted to my friends in the Soul Patrol!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Travis and I'm addicted to reading blogs and FBB chat.

Uhm. . .wait. . .those are just symptoms of my over-riding condition.

Dangit! I too am addicted to my friends in the Soul Patrol!!

Coco said...

Sorry, Yoda, it looks like a trend. lol

Something you may not know about me ... I am a musician, and I can tell you honestly from my own perspective, that it's not the roar of the crowds and the rush of adrenaline that hooks a musician. It's the ultimate freedom of expression - the creativity of the art that speaks to our souls. It feeds off itself inside you. It nourishes you and yet creates a hunger for more.

I am a full-time teacher and a full-time single mom, but I can't go a day without playing music on one of my instruments. I am fortunate in that my job permits me to do that within the context of my work, but I also practice at home, for the sake of my son who, at 3 1/2, is showing signs of musical creativity. He, too, plays his musical instruments and sings every day.

Although music is essentially a performance art, intended to be shared, it is as integral to the human spirit as breathing is to the human body, an intensely personal experience that should never be denied.

Anonymous said...

My name is Rider, and I work in the same field you do buddy. Troubled youth... gang members. Take a note.

Coco said...

Hey Yoda - please blog again - I enjoy your insights.